About the project
The Great Sephardi Synagogue was built in 1897 to serve the Sephardic community of the Yemin Moshe neighborhood. The synagogue, like all of Yemin Moshe, was virtually abandoned when the area was situated next to no-man’s land from the War of Independence (1948) until the Six Day War (1967). The Yemin Moshe neighborhood was revived following the reunification of the city (1967). Restoration of the synagogue was begun in 1969 under the direction of architects Ehud Menczel and Tuvia Katz assisted by Dr. U. Nahon, and was rededicated in 1974. Additional improvements have been made to this active synagogue over the years.