About the project
Sir Moses Montefiore made seven trips to Palestine between the years 1827-1875. From 1834, he used his own carriage to travel through Palestine, Europe, Russia, the Ottoman Empire and Morooco on a philanthropic mission to Jews in distress. The municipality restored the carriage and put it on permanent display next to the Montefiore Windmill in 1976. The carriage was destroyed by fire in 1986. At the initaitive of the Jerusalem Foundation in 1990, the carriage was reconstructed by Itamar Newman using fragments that remained of the original and was reinstalled at the site.