About the project
Hadassah Hospital – Mount. Scopus is a 300-bed regional hospital serving Jewish and Arab neighborhoods of northern and eastern Jerusalem. The hospital was built in 1939, but closed in 1948, after an Arab attack on a convoy of medical personnel making its way up Mount Scopus. From 1948-1967 it stood in no-man’s land, during which time a new Hadassah Hospital was built in Ein Kerem. After the Six Day War and the reunification of the city (1967), the hospital was rebuilt. Today the facility includes all standard medical departments, as well as a neonatal intensive care facility and a hospice for care of the terminally ill. The Jerusalem Foundation has supported several physical projects at the hospital, beginning with the establishment of a rehabilitation center created with the help of nearly 27,000 individual German donors in a response to a campaign headed by German publisher Axel Springer beginning in 1973 (the center was dedicated in 1976). In 2003, it supported the establishment of a center for the prevention of accidents among Arab children operated by Beterem. In 2005, it helped establish the East Jerusalem Down’s Syndrome Project to improve services to an estimated 2,000 east Jerusalem children. In 2007, it will support subsidized dental visits and a major renovation and expansion of the hospital’s pediatric wing.