About the project
The Misgav Ladach General Hospital was established in 1889 in the Old City. The hospital relocated to Kovshei Katamon Street in the Old Katamon neighborhood, after its original building was destroyed in the War of Independence (1948). In its new location, the hospital served as a small maternity hospital, with nine rooms and 28 beds. In 1979, ground was broken for a major, new hospital on Chizkiyahu Hamelech Street in Old Katamon that would serve primarily as a maternity hospital, but would also renew some of the hospital’s general services. The Jerusalem Foundation began its support of the hospital in 1973, with the purchase of medical equipment. It assisted the hospital with its worldwide fundraising effort to complete its new facility in 1981. Over the years, the Foundation helped establish several clinics and departments at the hospital: the Cancer Detection Clinic in 1981; the Elsie L. Brandt Mother & Child Care Center in 1988 (which merged with the Leonard & Adele Blumberg Mother & Child Care Center in 2004); the Professor Ino Sciaky Dental Clinic, named in memory of the founder of the Hadassah Hospital-Hebrew University School of Dentistry in 1989, and the Maxine Sherman Recovery Room & Intensive Care Unit in 1991. It created the Maccabi Salzberger Memorial Garden in front of the hosptial and erected the sculpture L’Espagnol created by Emilio Gilioli in 1963 within the garden in 1987. The hospital was closed in 2001.