About the project
The ORTKennedy Apprenticeship Center was a four-year high school program that combined vocational training in automotives, carpentry, secretarial and other fields with general studies for approximately 550 Jewish and Arab students each year. The school is part of a network of 159 schools throughout Israel operated by ORT, a worldwide education organization founded in Russia in 1880 that established its first school in Israel in 1949. The Jerusalem Foundation created automobile mechanics and electronics workshops equipped with modern simulators and system models for the 200 students in the school’s automobile mechanics track in 1990. The school was later converted for use as the Mekor Chayim School, a religious, boys’ elementary school under the auspices of Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz.