About the project
Suleiman the Magnificent built six public water fountains known as sabils to provide water for drinking and ritual cleansing to Jerusalem’s residents and pilgrims. Sabil el-Wad, built between 1530-40, is situated next to the Hammam-el-Ein bathouse. The Jerusalem Foundation supported restoration of the fountain in 1978, which was carried out by architect Peter Bugod. Work included cleaning (including the water basin, an unused coffin of undetermined date), reconstructing the retaining wall and the stairs leading to the bathouse roof, renovating the bathouse roof and entrance, replacing missing stones and reactivating the water supply. It was one of three sabil restoration projects undertaken at the time.