About the project
Suleiman the Magnificent built six public water fountains known as sabils to provide water for drinking and ritual cleansing to Jerusalem residents and pilgrims. Sabil el-Khabs is located just outside the Gate of the Chain, the main entrance to the Temple Mount. The sabil features an arch decorated with geometric motifs and a Crusader rosette at its center, which was transferred here by the builders in 1537. Beneath it, a Roman sarcophagus serves as a basin. Water was brought to the fountain from an aqueduct that passed under the street at this spot. The Jerusalem Foundation restored the sabil in 1978 as one of three sabil restoration projects undertaken at the time.