Old City-Jewish Quarter, Batei Machase st.

About the project

Tanners’ Gate is located in the Old City’s southern wall, near the Dung Gate. It is the second oldest entrance into the Old City, a pedestrian gate probably built in the 12th Century by the Crusaders near a cattle market (hence the name). Suleiman the Magnificant filled in Tanners’ Gate when he built the present-day Old City walls, gates and towers. The gate was discovered during post-1967 archeological investigations, partially reconstructed and interpreted as part of the Beth Shalom Garden. It was studied further during excavations along the Old City walls in 1995. The Jerusalem Foundation supported archeological excavation and restoration of the gate and construction of an adjoining plaza into the Old City, which was dedicated to the memory of Yitzhak Rabin in 1996. The restored gate was the first new opening into the Old City walls since 1887.

The donors

On the map

Related Projects

נגישות אתר