About the project
The Rudolf G. Sonneborn Playground was created in 1975 overlooking Mitchell Garden at the north end of Yemin Moshe. In 1982, the play equipment was replaced by a movement sculpture by Israeli painter and construction engineer Sucho (Gdalia Suchowolski). Sucho was born in 1928 in Bialistok, Poland and immigrated to Israel in 1941. His movement and play sculptures are located in many locations in Israel and Jerusalem. This sculpture, purposely understated by the artist so as not to detract from nearby historical sites, is constructed of a 4.5 meter- high perpendicular connected to a 9.5 meter horizontal rail. A cast iron flywheel that sits on the rail can be pushed to change the sculpture’s composition.