About the project
The Moses’ Ark Playground was built atop a water resevoir next to a large housing complex in the French Hill neighborhood in 1978. The play area included benches, shade pergolas, colorful play equipment, and a play sculpture created in 1976-77 by Israeli painter and construction engineer Sucho (Gedalia Suchowolski, b. 1928, Poland). Sucho’s movement and play sculptures are located in many locations in Israel and Jerusalem. This piece is made of a massive, wooden beam tied with cables to a circular steel structure. An iron ball is fixed at one end of the beam, but suggests the possibility of movement. Funds for the project came from more than 100 German donors, including Sunday schol children, through a fundraising effort led by Pastor Emanuel Gotze.