About the project
The Sha’arei Zedek (Gates of Righteousness) Medical Center was the first Jewish hospital in Jerusalem established outside the Old City walls. The hospital opened on Jaffa Road in 1902 with 20 beds. It has since grown into a major medical center with in-patient facilities, a comprehensive range of therapeutic and diagnostic services, out-patient clinics, teaching facilities and a research center. The hospital serves 34,000 patients per year in its 500-bed facility. The Jerusalem Foundation has supported several physical projects at the hospital, beginning with support for construction of the hospital’s new facility on a 14-acre site opposite Mount Herzl. In 1984, it supported the purchase of furnishings and equipment for a blood pressure testing room and the establishment of the Isidore & Helena Seibald Early Gastro-Intestinal Cancer Detection Unit. In 1993, it purchased neonatal respirators. The Foundation has also supported hospital programs, including: an Alzheimer’s Disease research program in 1989; Yitav, a volunteer service based at the hospital that maintains daily telephone contact and makes home visits to more than 1,000 home-bound elderly each day in 1992, and the Glaucoma Project, an early detection and research project undertaken by the hospital with the Sam Rothberg Glaucoma Center at the Chaim Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer in 1996.